A major state University located in Bowie, Maryland wanted to save on its energy costs and demonstrate its commitment to renewable energy to its students and alumni. The University selected SGC Power, along with finance partner WGL Energy Systems, to design a solution to meet their renewable energy needs.
SGC Power reviewed the existing campus roof space, available open land, and parking lots to design solar arrays that maximize the savings and visibility of the projects for the University. After evaluating the optimal locations, SGC Power worked with the
University to enter into a Power Purchase Agreement (PPA) to finance the project. This PPA provided significant long-term energy savings to the University, budget certainty, and required no up-front payments from the University. SGC Power managed all aspects of the development, design, and construction of the system.
- 2.8 Megawatt (DC) Solar Project
- Three types of installations (roof, ground, carport canopy)
- 20 Year PPA
- Phase 1 – 1.6 Megawatt (DC) Solar Project consisting of multiple rooftop arrays, a large parking lot canopy
array, a ground mounted array, and EV charging stations.
- Phase 2 – 1.2 Megawatt (DC) Solar Project consisting of a large parking lot canopy array, and EV charging stations.
- Obtained Maryland Energy Administration grants to maximize savings to the University.
- SGC Power – provided project development, engineering, and construction management.
- WGL Energy Systems – provided the financing for the PPA.
- SG Inc. – Virginia-based electrical
Additional Case Studies
A PENNSYLVANIA UNIVERSITY TURNS TO SOLAR
As the University explored its different solar options, SGC Power stepped in to support their commitment.
Read More >
A MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL PARK TURNS SOLAR
Renewable energy and sustainability for millions of fans who visit the park to watch baseball and other premier outdoor events.
Read More >